Repeat Course Overrides

Students will no longer be allowed to immediately register for a course if credit has already been earned for that course, unless the course description in the University catalog indicates it "may be repeated for credit".  This applies to credit earned at UNC Charlotte or transferred from other Institutions.

The registration error message, “Repeated Course”, prevents students from registering for that specific course without a “REPEAT” override.  This override will ONLY handle the “Repeated Course” registration error message, however; additional overrides may be needed if other error messages are received.

Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Follow the directions for your major's college to request a repeat override.
  2. Register for your class if the repeat override is approved. ***Approved overrides requested for classes that are currently in progress will be issued beginning three weeks after the first day of registration.***
  3. After registering for the course, if you are doing a Grade Replacement Request be sure to submit your request through by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar.
  4. At the end of the term, if credit is earned for the class, students are subject to the Repeating Courses policy in the University Catalog. The “REPEAT” override does not impact this policy.
Majors in the College of Arts + Architecture
Architecture, Art, and Art History: Please see your advisor.
Dance, Music, and Theatre: Please see your department office.


Majors in the Belk College of Business

Contact the Belk College of Business Advising Center.


Majors in the College of Computing and Informatics

Contact the Assistant Chair of the Department.

Majors in the College of Education

Pre-majors (prior to admission to a teacher education program):  Contact the Office of Teacher Education Advising, Licensure, and Recruitment (TEALR).

Majors (post admission to a teacher education program): Contact the advisor or Undergraduate Program Coordinator in your major.

Majors in the College of Health and Human Services

For CHHS Pre-Majors: Contact the CHHS Advising Center

For CHHS Majors: Contact their Program Coordinator

For Nursing majors: Contact the Associate Director of the Undergraduate Division.

Majors/Minors in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
 Contact the Main Department Office of your major/minor.


Graduate Students
Please contact your Graduate Department for assistance.



University College

Contact the University Advising Center.


Majors in The William States Lee College of Engineering

Freshmen: Contact the Office of Student Development and Success.

All Others: Contact the Undergraduate Coordinators or Student Services Specialist in your major.