1. What is the Tuition Surcharge?

For a complete description of the surcharge policy as required by the North Carolina General Statute section 9.10.(b) § 116-143.7. Session Law 2009-451, please click here.

2. Why do I have to pay the surcharge?

Based on University academic records, you fell into one of the categories listed below:

A. For students earning a first baccalaureate degree in a program that requires no more than 128 credit hours, the surcharge shall be applied to all counted credit hours in excess of 140 hours.

B. For students earning a first baccalaureate degree in a board-approved program that requires more than 128 counted credit hours, the surcharge shall be applied to all credit hours that exceed 110 percent of the credit hours required for the degree. Such programs include those that have been officially designated by the Board of Governors as five-year programs and combined bachelor's/master's degrees.

C. For students earning a baccalaureate degree other than their first, the surcharge shall be applied to all counted credit hours that exceed 110 percent of the minimum additional credit hours needed to earn the additional baccalaureate degree.

3. Is there an appeals process?

No, but there is an option to request a “waiver” of the tuition surcharge if your situation fits into one of categories specified in the waiver procedures established by the state. Waiver requests that do not fall into one of these four categories will not be considered. If you believe your circumstances fall within one of these four categories, you must complete a Tuition Waiver Review Form and attach supporting documents as needed using the "Attachment" button at the bottom of the online form.

4. What is the deadline to apply for a waiver?

Your waiver request must be received or post-marked no later than 30 business days after the tuition surcharge bill is sent to you. Tuition surcharge bills are sent via email to your official UNC Charlotte email address – no paper bills are sent.

5. What is the earliest date I can submit a waiver request?

Surcharge waiver requests cannot be accepted until after the tuition surcharge e-bills are sent out each term. Surcharge e-bills are sent separately from the regular tuition/fees/housing bills and are sent 7-10 business days after the final day to register for each term.

6. What documents of support do I include? Will you tell me if my documents are complete?

See examples of supporting documents for each of the four categories. These lists are not exhaustive and you may submit additional information.

No, we will not be able to contact you if your documents are incomplete or do not arrive. It is your responsibility to ensure that all materials you wish to submit are included with your waiver request.

7. Is the waiver retroactive to prior semesters? Can I get a refund?

No, the Tuition Surcharge Waiver Review Form should be submitted for the current semester’s tuition surcharge.  In addition, requests for waivers are not considered for semesters prior to Fall 2009.  The Tuition Surcharge Waiver Review Form must be received or post-marked no later than 30 business days after the tuition surcharge ebills are sent out.  If a current semester waiver request is approved, the tuition surcharge will be waived on the student’s financial record.

8. When will the committee review my waiver request?

All students who submit a waiver request will be notified of the Committee’s decision within 30 business days of submission.

9. Can I talk to the Committee in person?

No. Personal interviews are not conducted. Your waiver requests will be considered based on the materials you submit and your academic history.

10. Who can I talk to if the Committee denies my waiver request?

The decision of the Committee is final and there will be no further review. Within 30 business days of receiving your waiver request in the Office of the Registrar, you will be notified by email of the Committee’s decision.

11. Will the surcharge affect my financial aid award?

No, the tuition surcharge will not affect your current financial aid. However, you may want to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 704-687-2461 to inquire about the possibility of increasing your student loans to help cover some of the tuition surcharge amount.

12. Who can I talk to if I have questions about summer credits being improperly counted?

If you are assessed the surcharge and you feel an error was made in which courses were mistakenly included (Example: I believe my summer school transfer credits from UNC-A were not excluded from the calculation) you may request a review of your record by completing the Waiver/Review form. Check the box “Summer Hours Review” and submit it to the registrar@uncc.edu.

13. Due to my disability, I am experiencing difficulty completing the online Tuition Surcharge Waiver Form. Who do I contact for assistance?

If you need assistance completing the form due to disability related reasons, please call the Office of the Registrar at 704-687-5505 or email registrar@uncc.edu.

The Office of Registrar cannot address questions about the basis for the decisions made by the Tuition Surcharge Waiver Committee.