The last date of attendance/participation must be recorded by the instructor for students with failing or unsatisfactory grades. This applies to undergraduate and graduate courses.
Requirement for F, U, & N grades
- Beginning in Spring 2020, all instructors will be required to enter the last date of attendance/participation for all students with failing (F), unsatisfactory (U), or no credit (N) grades.
- The last date of attendance is required to comply with federal student financial aid reporting requirements. This is because a student cannot receive financial aid for a course he or she did not attend.
- Students who received an F, U, or N may have to pay back their financial aid funds depending on their last date of attendance.
When you need to report last date of attendance
- When you record a grade of F, U, or N for a student, you must also enter the last date of attendance/participation in Banner.
- Entering the last date of attendance is required before your grade submission can be saved.
- The date should be the last date on record that the student attended or participated in your class.
- Options include:
- physically attending/participating in a class activity
- electronic attendance (ex: Poll Everywhere, attendance module in Canvas, Connect class attendance feature)
- participating in an online discussion or activity about academic matters
- attending a study group assigned by the instructor
- submitting an assignment/project/test/tutorial/quiz
- initiating contact with instructor to ask a question about the course or course content
- Note: If your class is an online or distance education course, the student simply logging into an online course or viewing a page does NOT count.
- PDF screenshots for Banner 8
- PDF screenshots for Canvas
- Video instructions for grade submission and last date of attendance in Canvas
- Video instructions for adding midterm grades in Banner
- Video instructions for adding final grades in Banner
- For students with an F, U, or N grade, entering the last date of attendance is required before your grade submission can be saved.
- CAUTION: In Banner, you can move to the next screen without saving, so make sure you save before continuing!
|SCENARIO||BANNER GUIDELINE||CANVAS GUIDELINE|
|No academic-related activity in course. Don't know if student attended.||Enter the first day of class in Last Attend Date and enter a zero (0) in Attend Hours.||Check the "Did Not Attend" box. This will auto-populate the day prior to the first day of classes.|
|Academic-related activity recorded, however did not complete course.||Enter date of last academic-related activity.||Enter date of last academic-related activity.|
|Student attended course and completed final exam.||Enter last date of the semester.||Enter last date of the semester.|