Advising holds prevent student registration and can only be removed by the department or academic advisor.
- Departments may stipulate that students in their major/minor be required to meet with an advisor prior to registering.
- This will be enforced by means of Advising Holds which will prevent registration and can only be removed by the department or academic advisor.
- Advisor assignments in Banner are an important part of the hold process and should be updated in a timely manner so students will have the correct advisor(s) to contact.
- Learn more about advising assignments.
Placing an Advising Hold
- In an effort to ensure advising holds are placed accurately and in a timely manner, we are asking departments to send an Excel spreadsheet that includes a complete list of students needing advising holds.
- Send your spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A report that could be used is the Cumulative GPA by level, class, college, degree in major order report under the GPA/Credit Hours tab in Report Central's Student section.
- Choosing the parameters for the report will allow you to retrieve your selected student population.
- Click here to see an image of a sample parameter set.
- Exclude freshman students (all freshman automatically receive an advising hold)
- Exclude students who have applied to graduate for the current term
- One request per department should be submitted
- You should include students who are enrolled in their 4th semester as part of the Graduation Oriented Advising initiative
If you cannot generate an Excel spreadsheet, please email email@example.com.