This web page is designed to outline and bring awareness to the progress we are making with the Know Me project.
- At UNC Charlotte, we strive to create a personal experience by providing opportunities for every member of our community to get to know each other better.
- One of the many ways we are doing this is by offering students, faculty, and staff the option to provide their “preferred first name” that can be used in emails, classroom settings, reports, and everyday conversation.
- Phase I of the project began July 1, 2019, as UNC Charlotte began providing the option of inputting a preferred first name (PFN), in several systems across campus.
- You should expect to interact with many systems and reports across campus beginning to utilize preferred first name.
- As you can imagine, it will take time to update all systems on campus and there could be inconsistencies when one system is updated prior to another system.
- A cross-divisional task force1 has been focusing on prioritizing how these rollouts will unfold.
- Future phases of the rollout include photos on class rosters and advisor/grade reports. Students, faculty, and staff will have the option to input their personal pronouns and gender identity, as well.
How to update preferred first name
- “Preferred first name” is the name you would like to be addressed as in emails, classroom settings, or everyday conversations. It may differ from your legal name.
- To view or update your preferred first name, log in to My UNC Charlotte > Banner Self Service >Personal Information > View or Update Preferred First Name.
- As systems are updated to include preferred first names, we will post them here.
Your help is appreciated
- In alignment with UNC Charlotte’s vision and values, this change aims to personalize the experience of every student, faculty, and staff member on campus. This addresses a need of our transgender, nonbinary, and gender non-conforming students, faculty, and staff and members of the university's international community.
- We appreciate your effort in using preferred first names when addressing students and colleagues in the Niner Nation community. We are all Niners!
1Task Force Representation: Academic Diversity & Inclusion; Advancement; Auxiliary Services; Center for Teaching & Learning; Dean of Students; Enrollment Communications; Faculty; Graduate School; Housing & Residence Life; Human Resources; Identity, Equity, and Engagement; Institutional Research; Legal Affairs; LGBTQ+ Staff & Faculty Caucus; OneIT; Public Relations; Registrar; Student Affairs, Student Union; Title IX; Undergraduate Admissions; and Undergraduate Education